Google offers both Adsense and Ads Manager programs as a means to help advertisers showcase specific ads on their websites while making money.
Adsense has been around for much longer and is somewhat very profitable for advertisers globally. Its is a web based ads program which gives users the option of placing specific kind of ads anywhere on their website. There are pros and cons of google adsense though, namely;
- Advertisers must have a website or web page with rich contents. Atleast rich articles with 500 or more words per post.
- Advertisers must use original contents and not copy and paste as most folks will have it. Google robots have a way of detecting such scenarios. 10 to 15 Original content is needed.
- A valid domain extension must be used when hosting a website. Even on third party or free hosted platforms, google still prefers a top level domain. It does not matter if one is using a sub-domain. For instance .com, .net, ncom.ng, .ng, .au etc are typical examples of top level domains.
- It is wise to add google analytics codes to your website if you are the developer. This will enable google robots crawl and detect traffic on your website faster.
- Always drop google codes on the index.html or index.php (home page) header tags. This is the preferable place to drop google codes.
- Google adsense gives you the option to choose between text, text and banners, banners only ads type. Also the sizes varies and one has the option to choose whether it be a vertical, horizontal or square ads.
- Create pages like About us, Contact us, Terms of Service etc.
- Do not use copyright images. This is really a catch. Just modify and edit your own banners.
Google Ads Manager – Formerly DFP
Google Ads Manager is a superb product which gives more freedom and flexibility to advertisers. It is quite a hack for first time users but after one gets a hang of it, its super-duper fun!
- Google dfp does not need approval for advertisers. Every gmail account owner who wishes to advertise with Google is eligible to apply for the program.
- Ads Manager offers a more sophisticated dashboard for advertisers.
- Advertisers can choose what ads show on their websites and create inventories, banners, orders and line items themselves.
- Like in the third options, advertisers can design their own banners or show ads for a specific firm or organization. It is a win-win situation as advertisers can bill their sponsors yet make money with google per impression or per click on same ad banners
- More stable revenue or earnings. Unlike in Adsense, users are left with what ever google determines the right pay-per-click or pay-per-view. In Ads Manager, your dashboard gives you a clear insight to how each ad is doing.
- You do not need to write original contents or bother about image copyright issues; though it is good practice to do so.
- A valid domain extension is needed as Ads Manager will be displayed on a web based platform.
- You have full control on what to put out unlike Adsense whose ads are automatic and can only be restricted to certain categories.